This is one of the first things I pinned on Pinterest and knew I wanted to create one day.
Back at the end of September when I was Pinterest project crazy I decided to finally tackle this DIY.
Rather than making the frame itself, as in my inspiration, I wanted to see if I could find a frame that would fit the bill and then go from there.
During the month of September, I might’ve made a dozen trips to a variety of Goodwills around town. Oops. I picked up quite a few frames for different projects. For this particular Scrabble project I wanted to find a larger size frame (enough to fit 200 scrabble pieces and not looked cramped) , with something more than just a flat frame. I spotted a framed chalkboard calendar (similar to below) that looked the perfect size and had a design to the black frame.
Eyeing the back of the frame, it had simple metal framing tabs and therefore would be simple to remove the actual chalkboard and slide in my metal sheet. At Home Depot I picked up a metal sheet that would need to be cut down to the size of the frame.
To my surprise, Goodwill did not have dictionaries in stock. I made a trip to Half Price Books, where there was a plethora of dictionaries, and was able to pick one up for a few bucks.
All supplies gathered and arrived, it was time to start this project.
My husband carefully trimmed the metal sheet to fit the frame. Lucky for us the original chalkboard could still fit in the frame with the metal piece to ensure a snug fit and provide support the metal sheet (no need for a piece of plywood like my inspiration). Win!
I tore out random pages from the dictionary and began mod podging a small section of metal at a time to place the pages in a row, as a base layer. After the initial layer of pages dried, I went back and glued more pages at diagonals, overlapping each other and some pages coming over the sides of the metal sheet. This gave it a more haphazard look. I did do a final spray of satin clear coat over the entire sheet. After it dried, I placed it in my frame and secured with the metal framing tabs.
Next up was some major glue gun action as I glued one of these tiny, strong, magnets to the back of my scrabble pieces. Some magnets flew off to stick with other magnets as I was doing this process (these little babies have a lot of attraction) which just meant re-gluing. No problem.
Frame ready, scrabble tiles ready, project complete!
I am so pleased with how it’s turned out! I brought over the scrabble frame for the bridal shower I helped throw in September and everyone had fun coming up words related to the couple. I love that it has a bit of a vintage feel thanks to the dictionary pages. I still am not sure where to put it in the house. The girls are a little too rough with it when it’s on the floor so I need to find some appropriate wall space for this one. It’s such a fun piece!